I left my cozy covers to get up early this morning and make this comforting & fragrant breakfast quinoa. I was craving it. It felt so good to be in the kitchen clothed in my warm pj’s and fuzzy socks, ready fill my belly with warm comfort food.
This breakfast quinoa is hearty and filling, perfect for a slow, chilly morning or a busy work day – it is not at all heavy, is high in protein, will improve your metabolism, and will offer you energy to get your day started.
Breakfast Quinoa with Fruit & Almonds
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 plum, pitted and sliced
- ⅛ cup dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, apricots)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- handful of almonds, halved or slivered
- Heat a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, and add the butter.
- When the sizzling begins to subside, add the plums, dried fruit, almonds and cinnamon.
- Stir gently for two to three minutes until the plums begin to break down slightly.
- Add the cooked quinoa.
- Toss the ingredients together gently and heat through.
- Drizzle with honey or agave nectar before serving.
- If desired, you can add milk or yogurt.