Some of the most successful people in the world meditate. People like Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Russell Simmons, Ellen DeGeneres, Jeff Weiner, Timothy Ferriss, Russel Brand, and Kristen Bell have all come forth about meditating.
“Meditation is time carved out for yourself – sacred space – to feel that underlying yes from life, the affirmation of your being. In this spacious welcoming, you may feel the yes of your own response to life welling up from the depths – not from discipline but from pleasure, not from demand but from love.
Providing a rest deeper than sleep, meditation is refreshing and rejuvenating. It’s good for your health, enables you to better deal with stress, and helps you live in harmony with your world. *source: Meditation Secrets for Women
HERE ARE 10 HEALTH BENEFITS OF MEDIATION:
- Reduces Stress & anxiety- Simply relaxing and focusing the mind on meditation triggers the release of endorphins and also helps increase dopamine, serotonin, and melatonin. This cocktail of chemicals flooding the bloodstream leaves the meditator feeling calm, happy, and content. Meditation helps to quiet an overactive brain, lowers the blood pressure, & lowers the heart rate.
- Increases your sense of connectedness & empathy – Feel disconnected from those around you? Studies have shown that mindfulness through meditation allows people to better regulate their emotions, allowing them to become more present for others – meditation leads to an increase in friendly and helpful behavior, and inspires people to be kinder and more empathetic.
- Improves focus – Some people use coffee for focus, other use meditation which improves cognition and increases the ability to perform tasks requiring focus.
- Improves relationships – Meditation increases emotional stability, and helps people hone in on their ability to pick up on cues indicating how others are feeling. With a regular mediation practice, the meditator is less likely to be influenced by any negative people in their life, has a greater acceptance of others, and offers people more space and understanding to let them be who they truly are.
- Makes you more creative – Mindfulness switches on divergent thinking and opens the mind to new ideas. It works to enhance creativity & innovation and improves attention, making it easier to register the novelty and usefulness of ideas.
- Improves memory – Meditation is a powerful tool for improving concentration and bettering your cognition – when you’re able to focus better, you’re also better able to solidify concepts in your short-term memory. Therefore, practicing meditation can help you to develop your short-term memory.
- Improves your ability to make decisions – With meditation, the decision-making process becomes a thoughtful, cognitive exercise rather than an impulsive reaction to immediate needs. It helps you clarify objectives and avoid rational decisions.
- Enhances your immune system – Since your immune system responds to both negative and positive thoughts, meditation creates a positive mental environment for the immune system to flourish. It boosts antibodies, and stimulates immune system brain-function regions, which make the immune system function more effectively when stimulated.
- Reduces physical & emotional pain – By activating and reinforcing some areas of the brain used in pain processing, meditation has the overall effect of helping to reduce pain intensity.
- Increased happiness – Meditation shrinks the portion of your brain called the “amygdala,” which is the section of your mind that controls fearfulness and anxiety, so the smaller that bad boy is, the happier you’ll be.